JOY Decorative Holiday Board


Have you gotten your Christmas decorations up?
We started last weekend with the outside lights and front door decor.
I made this JOY board a few years back and just love it by our front door.
To make your own, pick up a 5'x12" pine board.
If you made our BOO! Board, you can put it on the back and save storage space!
You'll also need green, red and white paint.  You can use craft acrylics or even paint samples from the hardware store.  That's what I did in a Satin finish. 
You're going to layer your paints so you get this great worn vintage look.


Paint with the green first.
After it dries, paint over that with white.
Let it dry for a few hours.
Trace on your letters.
You can print them off your computer and trace or
I just used some 13" wood letters I had to trace around.


Decide on your spacing. I left a few extra inches on the top so I could tie a bow.
Trace the J and Y first and then center the O.
Now paint in your letters with red. 
Let this dry for several hours- I let my board sit over night. 
Then sand the board like crazy.


I used a hand held electric sander and went over the whole thing.




Just love this worn look with that green showing through.
Makes me think of an old fashioned Christmas from yesteryear. 
Finished it off with a burlap bow and some bells.


Turn on the Christmas songs and happy decorating!

Comments

  1. Heidi, Thank you so much for the feature!! Have a great Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi, What a nice sign - simple yet big enough to make an impact! Great for the holidays! Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect out by your front door. Have a happy Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, that worn look is gorgeous on your wooden sign. Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us at Merry Monday this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the layering and distressed colors. Thanks for checking out this post!

      Delete

Post a Comment