Wood Crate Storage with Wheels


I'm super excited about this storage project!
It's one of those that I've been meaning to do...
 and this is the year for a little more organization.


I had all these cans on the floor under the bottom shelf of our pantry.
I needed the storage space, but as you can see, 
cans were spilling out.  The space was so deep that it was hard to get to the cans and we lost track of what was there.


I love the look of some wood crates 
and knew they would be perfect for storage in that space.
Picked up these beauties.


Because of the depth, I really wanted to add wheels to the crates, 
so they could easily be pulled in and out.
Important to measure the height of your space with the height of the crate and added height of wheels to make sure they'll fit!

Bought some short wood screws and casters.
These little wheels will hold up to 50 lbs!


Stained the crates and them let dry over night.


 Add the wheels.
Use an electric drill with phillips attachment-so much faster.
Make sure one end of the caster is screwing into the thick side piece of the crate
for a better hold.




I wanted to put cans in a couple of these,
so I nailed another wood slat across the bottom,
just to help hold the added weight.
I stained this piece too. 


Finished! 
It doesn't take much to make my day...just a stained wood crate and casters!


Here it is in the pantry.
Lovely!




I'm using this one on the side for storage of garbage bags, paper towels 
and other paper goods.


The whole pantry is getting a make over.
Check back for the full reveal!


In the meantime, make your own rollable storage crates!
Let us know how you use them for storage in the comment section. 

Comments

  1. Now that is one great idea!! Love it!!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart, my pantry looks just like your "before" pic. I love it when you get the look you want plus functionality!
    Thanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dust bunnies collecting on my pantry floor. Yuck! This is a great idea! Thank you!
    Happy Wednesday! Megs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! These crates were the solution to that and all those cans on the floor!

      Delete
  4. I love crates! What an awesome idea to add wheels and have them in your pantry, so cool and so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these crates too! Thank you for the feature on your blog!

      Delete
  5. Those crates seem been made to fit that space!! Love the look of wheels on crates by the way, your pantry looks so neat and organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky that they fit perfectly in that space! The wheels are my favorite part!

      Delete
  6. That looks so much better Heidi and it must make it so much easier to clean too. Great idea to add the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We love it. Sometimes my kids will just walk in there and stand for a few minutes looking around because there is so much uncluttered space now!

      Delete
  7. I have been looking all over for a storage solution for my food blogging photo props. There is room under a built-in desk, but the I haven't been able to find pre-made solutions that were the right size and on wheels. These crates plus wheels would be perfect! I feel a project about to happen! Can I ask at what kind of store you found the crates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I picked these up at Michaels on sale. I've also seen similar crates at Walmart. Good luck, would love to see your finished crates :)

      Delete
  8. You can actually make the storage crate into a nice cushioned chair on wheels in the same way if you fix a lid on and upholster some cushion right on the top! But this little idea is going to be a lifesaver in your house when you just need to put things into a bit more organization!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply wonderful!I'm going to do the same hope i'll.Additionally i'll doing some design on the surface of the wood by using wood router.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! We've just moved into a Bulgarian village house and have a cellar that is just a big junk heap right now. We're using it as our food storage place, but I can't find anything! These crates look perfect for our situation, so I'm going to do some clearing out of the junk and get my husband onto making the crates for us! Thank you for this very useful post! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an adventure you're on! Glad this crate storage on wheels is going to work for you!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's a great adventure! We'll get started on the crates as soon as the weather warms up, it's a bit cold to start rearranging the cellar right now!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing with is I'll be featuring you when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarahlynn! We'll check it out at the To Grandma's House We Go link party!

      Delete

Post a Comment