Surfboard Coffee Table


Last year, my oldest son turned 12 years-old. A pretty big step! He is now a Young Man in our church. As his birthday approached, he asked for a bedroom re-do as his gift. I completely understood his position. The little boy knick knacks weren't cutting it any more. Well, we didn't go all out, but we did make some changes to give him a beach themed bedroom. Appropriate for a growing up kid. (My son loves the ocean! He tells us frequently that when he grows up, he's moving near the beach.) As part of his room re-do, my husband helped him build a surfboard coffee table. A great father/son project!

With plywood, sketch out the shape of your table top. My son wanted a cut out fin in the back. Using a jig saw, cut out the shape.


Then, sand and sand and sand. You don't want any splinters. My husband and son took turns holding the Shop-vac hose nearby while the other sanded away.



Be sure to sand the edges. Did I mention that they sanded a lot?


Now, for the table legs. Our coffee table legs measured 14 inches in height and 1 1/4 inches in width. We also used two beams (out of the same wood) measuring 15 inches in length. The beams were screwed in across two legs (on each end of the table) to add extra support.


Once assembled, it's time to paint. Our son picked out a color that closely matched the ocean in his opinion.



Once the blue paint dried completely, my husband and son decided to add a yellow stripe down the middle.


The table turned out great and is so useful especially for holding all those Lego creations! Fortunately, my son still loves Lego :) I'm not ready for him to get too old!


Comments

  1. Since I grew up at the beach this table is right up my alley. Very cool! Thanks for linking up to Merry Monday! Sharing on G+! Have a great week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! There's nothing better than bringing a little beach into your home. We're happy to share with Merry Monday! Enjoy your weekend! Carrie

      Delete

Post a Comment